ABOUT COMPASS MEDICAL'S LUNG CANCER SCREENING PROGRAM
Compass Medical Radiology uses a low-dose computed tomography (LDCT) to screen for lung cancer among patients who meet the recommended criteria. LDCT is available at our Easton location. Lung cancer is the number one cancer killer in America, taking more American lives than colon, breast and prostate cancer combined. Every year, 200,000 Americans are diagnosed with Lung cancer and 160,000 dies from it. That’s 450 people a day. Early detection can increase the five-year survival rate for stage 1 lung cancer to nearly 90%. Compass Medical screens for lung cancer with low-dose computed tomography (LDCT), which has been proven to find lung cancer at its earliest stages. It is the first and only cost-effective test shown to reduce lung cancer deaths.
Active smokers should enter a smoking cessation program. Screening is not an alternative to smoking cessation.
Requires a physician’s referral
Covered by Medicare and private insurance plans for qualifying patients
- Does not involve the use of contrast
- Carries a low radiation dose
- Has a high rate of false-positive findings, which may lead to follow-up exams, additional cost, additional radiation exposure, and patient anxiety
- It is important that a health care provider manage to follow up care for patients with a positive finding
- Takes approximately 10 minutes
Patients who meet the following criteria are eligible for an annual low-dose CT scan (LDCT) to screen for lung cancer: